Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It's Christmas!!

I have my Christmas lights up and the tree is decorated and I'm getting ready for my annual Baking Day.  So we were excited to go see Fiona's Christmas program at school.  Fiona would tell me every day how many more days until the play.  She couldn't wait.  We get her all ready and go find a seat in the gym.  The first thing we notice is how packed it was and we still had to wait almost 1/2 hour.  I guess that's good news since it was a fundraiser and the school was raking it in.  They eventually had to stop letting families in and decided to have an encore performance to accommodate everyone.  Sounds promising right?  Skip to the actual program now.  Each grade (the WHOLE grade) was on the stage so it was difficult to find your child in it all.  At least I could get a faint image of what I thought was Fiona.  I know other parents couldn't find their child at all.  Then halfway into the program you realize the whole program is some kind of environmental message of how we can save the world by using electric sleighs and fake trees and use the right kind of light bulbs.  Now I am all for doing our part to not ruin the earth, I just think there are other ways to do our part.  Somehow I don't think we'll change much by buying fake trees.  In making those trees, aren't we using energy and yucky plastic that is just as harmful if not worse than buying a tree that was grown at a farm and can be planted again and while it is growing is helping the environment?  Anyway, after the program I was disappointed because there were no traditional Christmas songs (they just used the tunes to write their own words to).  I certainly didn't feel the Christmas spirit from it at all.  So maybe next year the school will have learned a lesson not to mess with Tradition.  At least I won't donate so much to the "fundraiser" if I know they are going to do this kind of thing again.  

At least the kids had fun though eh?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The whole thing was such a disaster, but you're right - the kids seemed to enjoy it, so I guess that's redeeming!

My oldest sister teaches music at the Jewish school (McGillis) and has to do a winter program each year (nothing Hannukah or Christmas allowed). She manages to put on a beautiful event sans political propaganda, so I really think they could have done better.

I think even Al Gore would have thought it was lame-o.

Lorie said...

I think Jon might have walked out if our Christmas program had an environmental message! Luckiy they just sang Christmas songs! ;D

We would love to see you guys when you are down for CHristmas!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I just blogged about Roxy's Christmas program. I was suprised that her school actually had quite a bit of religious songs. I guess we lucked out. I can't believe about the enviromental message. You are totally right about the tree thing. Real Christmas trees are better for the environment. I could go on and on about all of that but, I won't. CAn't wait to see you!!!!!